Tuesday, June 14, 2016

The Incredible Story of Thomas G Boyd Part 3

Morning Session

At the hour of 10 o'clock, yesterday morning a large crowd of spectators were at the Federal Court room, to witness the presentation of an affidavit for the continuance of cases there pending against Thomas. G. Boyd, whose name has figured in such an unenviable manner in the public mind for some time past. After the record of the previous day's proceedings was read by the clerk, Mr. Aiken Boyd made his appearance. He seemed to be in good spirits, and cordially shook hands with a number of
acquaintances whom he met as he made his way through the audience to the clerk's desk, where he made affidavit for continuance of the case. Judge Nelson then proceeded to read the affidavit, which is very lengthy and alleges, among other things, the absence of material witnesses and what he expects to prove by them.
He was being pursued by government officials who were eagerly prosecuting him, and that in an evil hour, in a moment of depression, without consulting his counsel, he determined to make his escape, he details the circumstances or his arrest and "voluntary" return to Tennessee, with which facts our readers are familiar. He makes complaint of certain newspaper articles in the Knoxville press by which public opinion was prejudiced against him, and speaks of the loathsome cells of the Knoxville jail. He alleges a dangerous combination to effect his conviction, by intimidation of witnesses, & c.

Afternoon Session

Boyd was offered bond again!

The hearing of the Boyd trial was resumed on a motion of the defendant's counsel to give bail for his appearance. John S. Thomas, of Bristol, proffered to go on the prisoner's bond, slating that he
was worth the requisite amount of money. His credibility was assailed by the counsel for the Government, which involved considerable discussion, when the witness was withdrawn.
Thomas Boyd, uncle of the prisoner, was the next surety offered, who made oath that he was worth
more than $5,000, clear of all debts. J. Galbraith, of Concord, was next offered, who testified that he owned property in excels of his debts to the value of $3,500. Jesse E. Williams, of Concord, did not
make it appear clearly that he was worth the necessary amount and stood aside. A. W. Boyd testified that he was already surety in other cases for about $8,000, and that was the full value of unembarrassed property.
Thomas Boyd was accepted as surety for the first case and the same and Mr. Galbraith for the case following. The rest were refused.
(Source: Knoxville weekly chronicle. (Knoxville, Tenn.), 29 Jan. 1873. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.Link)

No comments:

Post a Comment