|Holston College, Photo credit: The Prater Family|
Holston College was developed on land belonging to the historically prominent Gillespie family who had come from Scotland by way of Ireland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and finally the Louisville area in what would be Blount County. The migration began around 1740. John Gillespie (1774-1842) helped build a school and businesses on William Gillespie’s property. The school which would later be called Holston College had a Presbyterian-based education. The Gillespie’s for generations were staunch Presbyterians. Grady Winegar
It was also known as Ewing Academy, Ewing and Jefferson College and Holston Academy. In 1901, it is listed as Ewing and Jefferson College and G. L. Miser is listed as the president or principal.
(Source: Annual Report of the State Superintendent of Public Instruction for Tennessee, Tennessee. Dept. of Public Instruction, 1901, Table XI)
|Google map showing the location|
|Google map aerial view|
|Ewing and Jefferson College marker showing its location to the cemetery|