Knoxville High School
|Current photo of Knoxville High School|
Knox County has requested and received proposals from potential developers for Historic High School. Knoxville High was the main high school for the city from 1910 until 1951. The original Knoxville High School building was designed in a classic revival style by Knoxville architectural firm Baumann and Baumann. The firm designed many public buildings in Knox and surrounding East Tennessee Counties. The building was expanded in both 1914 and 1920 to accommodate increased enrollment. Knoxville High School is one of the contributing buildings to the Emory Place Historic District.
Rule High School
Rule High School was built in 1927 as an elementary and junior high school. In 1939 a senior class was added. Rule closed in 1991. Rule High School was not maintained and eventually it was leased to Terry Minor. Unfortunately, the the building has continued to deteriorate. Rule High School has some of the best views in the county.
|View from Rule High School|
South High School
South High School was designed by local architectural firm, Barber & McMurry and built in 1935-36. It was known as South Knoxville Junior High School when it opened, in 1937. The red brick building with Neoclassical design elements is typical of Barber’s work. He drew from the revival era styles to design both residential and public buildings, and was the primary architect of at least fourteen schools in Knox County prior to 1940.
The school was updated and South High School opened as one of the four schools built to replace Knoxville High School until it closed in 1976. It was not maintained until it was auctioned in 2008 to for 117,000. It is not currently being maintained and is in violation of the city's demolition by neglect policy. Currently the city plans to do some work to maintain the building.
These are just three of the larger schools that face an uncertain future. There are other schools that are under utilized and lack maintenance.