Friday, April 25, 2014

Greene County Post Offices 1876

Beulah (1876 Post Office)
Western part of Greene County. Russelville is the nearest shipping station. There is a Baptist Church and a country store, Hale & Huggins. Corn, butter & eggs are exported. Weekly mail, RA Lyle, postmaster

CAMP CREEK (1876 Post Office)

A country post office in Greene county, 7 miles south of Greeneville, the county seat and shipping point, and about 340 from Nashville. Wheat is the chief agricultural product and export. Mail once a week. S. S. M. Doak, postmaster. Business Directory. Doak. S. S- M., Physician. Seaton, Rev. M., (Methodist). Warsham & Rollins, iron manufacturers. Willis & Lyon, general store.

Caney Branch (1876 Post Office)

A small village and post office in the southwestern part of Greene county 13 from Greenoville the county seat and shipping point A steam mill tannery distillery and a few mechanics shops the industries of the place It has a Lutheran church and graded school. Wheat, corn, feathers, butter and eggs are marketed. First settled about 40 years ago. Population 100. Mail daily. WJ Liniz, postmaster

Carter's Station (1876 Post Office) Eight miles from Greeneville, 7 miles from Midway, the closest station on the ET, VA and GA RR, weekly mail, JH Maloney, postmaster

Cedar Creek (1876 Post Office)
Located in the SW corner of Greene County, 12 miles from Greeneville. A small hamlet of 65 people, settled in 1810. It has 2 stores, 2 hotels, Baptist and Lutheran churches and two common schools, with three grist mills and a tannery near by. Wheat, corn, feathers and fruits are marketed. Greeneville being the shipping station. Mail daily, Robert Allen, postmaster

Cedar Lane (1876 Post Office) (36.35694,-82.66222) no additional information

Clear Creek (1876 Post Office)

The post office is located at Jerd's Town, a village of 100, in the NE corner of Greene County, 18 miles from Greeneville. Fullen's Station is closest shipping point (13 miles) on the ET, VA & GA RR. Clear Creek furnishes excellent water power to a number of grist and saw mills in the neighborhood and there are Baptist, Presbyterian and Methodist churches and a public school in the place. Grain, butter, eggs and bacon are exported. Mail semi-weekly, Jacob Hawkins, postmaster.
Bailey, Rev N (Baptist)
Beals, Ellis, carpenter's
Bishop, Noah, blacksmith
Hawkins, Jacob, saw mill
Jerd, MF, physician
Jerd & Allen, tanners
Jerd & Bowman, millers
Jones, E general store and physician
Miller, JA, miller
Rhea, Eh, carpenter
Russell, Lewis, Boot and shoemaker
Scott, LD, blacksmith
Swaney Brothers, millers
Tally, JA, cabinetmaker
Taylor, Alfred, wagonmaker
Taylor, blacksmith

Cross Anchor (1876 Post Office)

A post station in Greene county, 8 miles from Greeneville. Exports grain, eggs, butter, feathers, etc. Mail once a week. E Kidwell, postmaster

Fullens (1876 Post Office) no additional information

Graysburgh (1876 Post Office)
Located in the NE part of Greene County, 14 miles from Greeneville and 9 miles from Fullen's Depot, its shipping point. It has several business stands and a brisk trade in country produce. Grain, live stock, chicken, eggs and fruit are exported. Mail weekly, RCG Fry, postmaster.
Bailey, Rev. N (Freewill Baptist)
Ball, Rev. L (Baptist)
Fraker, Rev. George W (Methodist)
Fraker, Rev. JT (Methodist South)
Hawkins, Jacob (General store
Henson, Wm (physician)
Horner, Rev. Wm (United Brethern)
Jeralds, MF physician
Milburn, Rev. JP (methodist)
Milburnm Rev. Wm (Methodist)
Rogers, Samuel Physican

Greeneville (1876 Post Office)
see Greeneville post

Home (1876 Post Office)
The post office at Henderson is an incorporated village of 500 inhabitants and station on the ET Va & Ga RR in Greene county 5 miles from Greeneville. Sinking Creek supplies ample water power utilized by a grist and saw mill and a woolen factory. It has 2 churches a college 5 stores and a number of artisans and professional men and is a lively progressive place. Wheat, corn, flour, bacon and lumber are exported. The WU Telegraph and Southern Express Co's have offices. Mail daily, Eli Marsh postmaster
Business Directory
Broyles, J F physician
Busher, Joseph Miller
Doak, MS physician
Doak, Rev S pres't G & T college
Duncan, Joseph blacksmith
Ellis, John physician
Flamster, Rev PS
French, Rev JLM
Galbraith, MA carding and saw mills
Hayworth, HR Saw Mills
Home Woolen Co
Jefferies, Wm & Co General Store
Jones, GA general store
McAmis, SL lawyer
McCollum S & Co general store
Marsh, Eli Station and Express Ag t
Marsh, Geo B shoe mnfr
Marsh, EJ Sons Commission
Marsh, GB & JL tannery and shoe factory
Patterson, A J lawyer
Patterson, Hon DT propr Home flouring and saw mills
Rader, Granville
Rankin, CG lawyer
Rankin, John G carpenter
Rankin, CG & Co general store General Store

Horse Creek (1876 Post Office) no additional information

Laurel Gap (1876 Post Office)
Northern part of Greeneville
Business Directory
Bailey, GN physician
Bailey & Bro general store
Cardwell, AA general store
Jeffers Wm postmaster
McCurry, WM school teacher
Richardson, MC school teacher
Tucker, ED physician
White, JB physician

Limestone Springs (1876 Post Office) (36.02, -82.85694) no additional information

Little Chuckey (1876 Post Office) (36.11167 -82.99139)
A beautiful rustic location and post office in the central part of Greene county 10 miles from Greeneville 5 from Midway on the ET Va & Ga RR the nearest railroad point and 65 from Knoxville Mail is received here once a week Wm VV Easterly postmaster
Locust Spring (1876 Post Office) no additional information (36.30528,-82.79833)

Midway (1876 Post Office)
A post village and station on the ET Va & Ga RR in the western part of Greene county 11 miles from Greeneville 65 iron Knoxville and 328 by rail from Nashville. Hay, corn, cattle, butter, eggs, bacon, tobacco etc are exported from here. Population 200 here is an office of the Southern Express Company and a daily mail Joseph Lane postmaster.
Business Directory
Davis, J S general store
Fry, Thomas General Store
Haws, WW physician
Keebler, John hotel
Lane, Joseph Harnessmaker
Maloney, JS general store
Self, DK express and station agent
Felt & Rust general store
Travis, S boots and shoes

Milburnton (1876 Post Office)
A village of about 300 souls in the western part of Greene county 9 miles from Greeneville 65 east of Knoxville and 328 by rail from Nashville Ship to Midway on the ET Va &Ga RR It contains a flouring mill Presbyterian Methodist and Lutheran churches and a male and female institute. Exports wheat flour, pork and beef. Express Southern Mail daily DR Gass postmaster
Business Directory
Bart, J C teacher
Cloyd, J W physician
Girstle, A general store
Kidwell, WA General Store
Lane, J harnessmaker
Rader, John Flouring Mill
Russell & Gass general store
Self, DK express and station agent
Travis, Sylvanus shoemaker
Wagner Rev JM principal college


Peach Grove (1876 Post Office)

Is a small village located in the eastern part of Greene county 8 miles from Greeneville 80 from Knoxville and 345 by rail from Nashville Ship to Greeneville by the ET Va & Ga RR There are 3 saw and 2 gristmills along the course of Little Lick creek in the vicinity and churches of various denominations and a public school in the place. Wheat, corn, bacon and lumber are shipped away. Population 100. Mail daily, AJ Harman postmaster.
Business Directory
Blaze, Rev Wm Free Will Baptist
Chapman H L general store
DeWitt, JF physician
Harmon, AJ physician
Harrison, Prof AN teacher
Price, Rev SH Miss Baptist
Ruble, Prof HH teacher
Ruble, Prof J W teacher
Stephens miller and wool carder
Taylor MD physician
Wagner grist and saw mill
Wright, EM teacher
Woolsey, Rev VB Free Will Baptist

Pilot Knob

Also known as Gap Creek is a post station in Greene county 15 miles northwest of Greeneville 65 from Knoxville and 6 from Bull's Gap station on the ET Va &Ga RR. It has a semi-weekly mail, John Ingle postmaster.
A village of 300 inhabitants settled in 1825 incorporated in 1856 and located in the southeastern part of Greene county, 10 miles from Greeneville and 84 east of Knoxville. Fullen's on the ET Va & Ga RR , 3 miles distant is its shipping point. It contains 1 Presbyterian and 2 Methodist churches and an Academy. Bacon, butter, flour and eggs are exported Mail daily. RHM Donnelly, postmaster.
Business Directory
Bird, Dr SW druggist
Byers, Rev DO
Conn, JKP boot and shoemaker
Crawford, John General Store
Donnelly, RHM general store
Earnest & Burkhart general store
McKeehan, WA wagonmaker
Moseley (Moreley), JR physician
Scott, John Furniture
Shoun, GH tanner
Squibb, JM tanner and boots and shoes

A small village in the northwestern part of Greene county 12 miles from Greeneville 11 from Rogersville junction its nearest railroad point and 65 from Knoxville. Corn, wheat and bacon with poultry, eggs and dairy products are marketed Population 50 Mail once a week J M Wilson postmaster Directory
Britton, Wm wagonmaker
Brubaker, Rev John
Brubaker, Rev Jonathan
Campbell & Pate general store
Gurber, Rev A
Hedges, TC physician
Seay, DV druggist
Small, Wm blacksmith
Wilson, J general store

Timber Ridge (1876 Post Office)
A village of 300 inhabitants in Greene county 7 miles south of Greeneville 40 east of Morristown and 350 by rail east of Nashville Three stores and a hotel comprise the business interests of the village farming lands in the vicinity naturally of good quality are being improved by a more judicious system of cultivation and of excellent quality hay, flax, wool, and maple sugar form some of the more important exports The place has a Presbyterian church and an academy. Mail tri-weekly, AD Susong postmaster.
Business Directory
Bowers,R & Co General Store
Easterly, JP physician
Evans, James general store and hotel
Feemster, Rev PS Presbyterian
Gosnell, J E physician
Stockbridge, E school teacher
Susong, AD 65 SL General Store

Unaka (1876 Post Office) no additional information (Unaka School: 36.04139, -82.79833)

Warrensburg (1876 Post Office)
A village of 75 inhabitants on the Nolichucky river in the western part of Greene county 17 miles from Greeneville and 73 east of Knoxville Midway on the ET Va & Ga RB is its railroad point distant 8 miles It has 2 grist mills a Baptist church and common school. Corn, wheat, bacon, butter and eggs are exported Mail once a week William Fulton postmaster.
Business Directory
Adams, Ezekiel blacksmith
Bacon, GJ flooring mill
Coulter, JH physician
Kidwell, Fulton General Store

Monday, April 14, 2014

Brakebill Indian Mound

Brakebill Indian Mound at Forks of the River

View Larger Map

Some of the stone implements and shell gorgets in the collection at Harvard were taken out of the mound in September 1869 The following December the mound was opened by its owner Adam Brakebill. At about this time and subsequently Dunning conducted his excavations at the mound the dimensions of which he gave as 20 feet high by 102 feet in diameter. Records giving details of his excavation here and the association of the various objects found are far from complete. Aside from a rusty sword blade of steel found by the side of a human skeleton there is nothing in the Yale collection from the Brakebill mound that would point to European contact.

Bone and Antler Bone and antler were not used extensively for either practical or ornamental purposes. An exceptionally fine spatulate implement of bone fig 14 is in the Harvard collection. It is cut from the central portion of the shaft and is not only well preserved but also is complete. The decoration consisting of series of parallel transverse incised lines is simple and effective. A hole through one wall near the base serves as a means of suspension. In the Yale collection is another of the same type but with fewer incised lines half the blade is missing There are several bone bodkins pointed at both ends. One such was wrapped by a cord that left permanent markings some of which have eaten into the bone fig 15. A pointed implement of deer antler is reproduced in figure 16.

Shell: The most notable objects of shell are the gorgets of which Dunning in one of his letters says six were discovered in various parts of the Brakebill mound at a depth of eight feet and under layers of charcoal and burnt clay several yards square. Some of them were deposited under the head of a human skeleton which was doubled up in the usual manner ie sharply flexed arms and legs. The smallest of the engraved shells was under the skull of a youth another near a male skeleton of mature age and with it a large polished ax of greenstone, some delicately shaped flint arrow points and a carved representation in shell of a human face.

Stone: Stone was employed in ways ornamental as well as practical. The boat amulet seen in figure 17 might have been employed as a sort of button In shape it is not unlike the head of a bird facing two ways. A boat amulet similar in shape was found forty years ago at Silver Lane near Hartford Connecticut.

Pottery: The paste contains so much pulverized shell as to give a pronounced reaction when treated to hydrochloric acid. Moreover the shell component is distinctly visible by contrast with the darker clay Very few of the vessels are whole. A plain vase without handles and one with a pair of handles and shoulder ornament in relief are reproduced in figure 21 Judging from the thickness and curvature of some of the sherds vessels of large size were in use at the Brakebill mound. Among the many sherds one is selected for illustration because of the rim decoration and the curious stamped design on the body of the vessel fig 22 A small potsherd disc is reproduced in figure 23.

Excerpts from Proceedings, edited by Frederick Webb Hodge. Read the whole book here: Link

Friday, April 4, 2014

See the 630 this Weekend

Bristol Station  
Photo credit: John Livingston

Sunday, April 6: Bristol, VA to Bulls Gap, TN

 The Lonesome Pine Limited, this trip will operate over Norfolk Southern’s Central Division main line (former Southern Railway) on a 156-mile round trip.  Departure time from Bristol is 9:00am.  This trip is sold out, but there are lots of opportunities to see and photograph this train.

Johnson City Station

Jonesborough (photo: Google Maps)

Limestone Station
Photo credit: Tom Shumard

Sadly, the old Chuckey Station is no longer there.

Greeneville    Photo credit: Tom Shumard

Bulls Gap
arriving in Bulls Gap at 12:00 noon for a 2-hour layover, departing Bulls Gap at 2:00pm and she should arrive back in Bristol around 5:00.

Pictures of the 630 at the Southern Railroad Station in Knoxville from her trip to Chattanooga a few years ago.