Wednesday, October 7, 2015

The Knoxville School that was used as a prison






Every Fall, as we returned to school, a classmate, who had probably never seen the inside of a jail, much less a prison, would remark that being back in school felt like being in prison. I don't think I would go that far, but I understand the sentiment. Here we were, stuck inside a classroom and only able to enjoy the beautiful Fall weather though the classroom windows.

However, some Knoxville students actually did go to school in a building that was used as a prison during the Civil War. The Bell House School, which was the Bell House Hotel at the time, was one of the more prominent establishments in Knoxville housed a number of Unionist prisoners. (Source: A Unionist in East Tennessee: Captain William K. Byrd and the Mysterious Raid of 1861, Marvin Byrd,The History Press, 2011, p. 71) This is mentioned in other sources as well.

19 comments:

  1. Wow! I attended Bell House from 1950-56 and knew it was originally a hotel, but never knew of its history as a prison. I wish it could have been preserved as a historic building, it really should have been. Lots of great memories there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My name is Peggy Smith Stevens and I also attended Bell House School years 1950-1956. I lived on Riverside Drive.

      Delete
    2. So do I, Knoxville did not have much interest in preserving history

      Delete
    3. Is the school building still there or torn down like everything else.

      Delete
    4. Is the school building still there or torn down like everything else.

      Delete
    5. Is the school building still there or torn down like everything else.

      Delete
    6. Ray, I believe it is still there. I plan on going over this weekend to verify and take photos

      Delete
    7. Nope, it has been long gone. Tore it down to build a bank.

      Delete
  2. Henry and Albert Brown attended here in 1876 according to records.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to school there in the early 60s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We went there also ,,I remember Bell house never knew it was a hotel or prison ,wow

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was in elementary school at Moses Elementary school (1947-1953) students were taken to Bell House School to have dental work done.

    J. Ginn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not know this, so thank-you for sharing it it hers

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started 1st. grade at Bell House in 1947 went there thru 5th.grade..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went to school there and I remember Nov 1962 So I would have been 10 and lived on Hill Ave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to Bell House 1st grade 1959,had Mrs Moore
      Any one Remember this teacher

      Delete
  9. I can remember Nov 1962 because I was in class the day JFK was shot and my teacher brought a tv into the class room and we watched about it and my teacher cried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! Daisy Mae Matt's in 5th grade..my teacher! Iam Rosemary Baker.There was 9 of us children..many many friends in the entire area..Mulligans, Hicks, Rogers, Riffeys..on & on & on! They had like 5th.& 6th. grades together back then..What is your name? I lived on Epps Street.(Epps Alley).off Hill Ave. Ran Paralell with Riverside Drive. Lived All over the area..Good to see this from you. God Bless ..

      Delete
  10. Some memories of Bell House School are etched in my my mind. The May Pole celebrations; (had to be a Gold Star-no cavities to participate0. Mrs. Genoe our Principal.
    I lived at 1014 Market Street and was a student from 1949 until 1955. Joyce Dockery

    ReplyDelete