Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Veterans' Day: Letters from Home




Civil War Letters


Civil War Letters from William E Milburn (1797-1877) to his son William E F Milburn. In September William EF Milburn enlisted in the 12 TN CAV, CO B, Union Army and on September 14, 1864 William E Milburn was mustered into Service by Capt. Paxton as a chaplin in the 8th Regt Tennessee Cavalry.

Knoxville Oct 8th 1864 
William E. F. Milburn
My Dear Son I got here on the 6th in Common helth. But with a Sad heart, from the fact I did not find you when I went to Nashville nor could not hear one word from you, I wrote 3 letters to you from Nahsville which I hop you have got I would not have taken $1000, not to have seen you But I could not for there was no train runing to Pulaskia and thought would not for some weeks--I could not wait. I will make all the ---tion I can to get you and Kelly with me in the eight Te. Cav. I think the Signs Pretty good if you Should live, I hope you will, I fear you will not--our troops think they will move up to Jonesboro without delay--I heard from home the first of this Old John Frake deid, our folks all well, I want you to write to me as soon as you can and let me know how you are and the boys I saw S. C. Shanks ajadent right from Charleton, S. C. he was well, But in a bad condition out doars in the sun but little to eat, My great fear is that you may be killed and not ready do not think my Dear boy that I think you are worse than other, no, I do not But my Hearts desire is that you may be Saved, as that is all at last.May God bless you and take care of you and all our boys--may he help you by his Spirit and grace to look to Christ and beleive that he is mor willing to bless you and save than I could be well you know that I would not let you Die if I could Save you--write to Evaline and the rest My Dear Boy do not fail to Read your Bible Say your Prayers and the Very God of peace Bless you 0, that we may meet on Earth and above all in Heaven, So, farewell, farewell, my Son--
I am yours in Parentel love
untill Death
William Milburn

World War I letters

World War I letters from James Henry White was born on October 9, 1892 in Greene County to James Randolph White and Mary Ann Emily Good. His enlistment was on March 14, 1918, when he was ordered to report to Camp Gordon, also see Camp Gordon. These are letters to his brother Isaac William, "Will," White. James Henry White was wouned by shrapnel and died on the battlefield on October 10,1918 in Chateau-Thierry, France. He served in Company G, 327th Infantry of the 82nd Division of the American Exponditionary Forces (AEF) 82nd Divsion at Chateau-Thierry, France in WW I, 82nd Division History

Bringing home WW I dead causes strong feelings in the US and in Europe: Link Bodies of War



 
Henry was brought home on September 4, 1921 and was buried with military honors in the family plot at Rheatown Cemetery.

WW II Letters

WW II Letters From Hartsell Luther, "HL," Bailes, Staff Sargent, 149th Infantry, 38th Infantry Division
HL was born on November 27, 1921 to James Ruble Bailes and Martha Elizabeth White. He enlisted at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia on August 10, 1942. Several of his brothers served in WW II: Walter, Carl, Frank and Bob served as well as future brother-in-law, Carl Everett and nephew Buddy Bailes.

I could not choose which one of these letters to add to this blog.  There are worried letters from parents, love letters from wives and girlfriends and cheerful letters for Aunts and Uncles, but the best letters are the ones that they wrote to each other.  These letters ask about the football scores and news from home and if they had seen or had had news from other Lincoln Park boys. Since Daddy was the youngest, he took over jobs left by the older brothers when the joined the Army.  Uncle Red asks Daddy to check on Virginia, who would later become my Aunt Virginia. Later the letters give information about who has returned home.

V mail envelope  









Pictures H L sent from the Pacific








Letter addressed to The Boys at Rose Drugstore


No comments:

Post a Comment